A beautifully colourful and comforting Italian-style pasta dish, the rich red tomato sauce and fragrant basil pairs perfectly with our Beef-Style Seitan Bites. Easy enough to whip up for a mid-week dinner (maybe with a glass of vegan red wine) but also visually impressive and nourishing. Not forgetting absolutely packed with protein!
This recipe comes courtesy of @quickneasyvegan who makes deliciously creative plant-based recipes that are super healthy and simple to make. Check out his impressive Instagram, there are new recipes every day!
Makes 4 Cups Sauce
• 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
• 80g Red Onion, Chopped
• 2 Cloves garlic, Minced
• 1 Tub Kind Protein Beef-Style Seitan Bites
• 1 400g Can Chopped Tomatoes
• 450g Marinara Sauce of Choice
• 3 Tbsp Tomato Paste
• 2 Tsp Dried Oregano
• 1 Tsp Dried Thyme
• 1 Tsp Fried Fennel
• Salt & Black Pepper to Taste
• 10g Freshly Basil Leaves, Chopped + more for garnish
• 1 Portion of Pasta of Your Choice (I used whole-wheat spaghetti)
1. Start by warming a large skillet over a medium high adding the olive oil. When done add the red onion and garlic and cook for roughly 4-5 minutes or until the onions have turned translucent.
2. When done add the Beef Style Seitan Bites and brown for roughly 2-3 minutes. While that’s cooking add all the tomato products in a blender and pulse until combined, set aside.
3. When the seitan bites are browned and cooked partially through add the combined tomato products to the skillet and bring to a simmer for roughly 20-25 minutes.
4. Meanwhile cook a portion of your pasta of choice according the package instructions. When the sauce is done add the chopped basil and stir until combined. Cook the sauce for a further 5 minutes.
5. When the sauce has finished cooking add roughly ½-1 cup to the pasta and transfer to a bowl, garnish with some salt and pepper to taste then sprinkle some freshly cut basil to finish. Serve and enjoy!